According to the Denver Post, Colorado police apprehend approximately 31,000 drunk drivers each year. Nevertheless, the rate of fatal accidents increased. In 2011, for example, drunk driving resulted in over 160 deaths in Colorado, representing a climb of approximately 28% from the previous year.

Whom can you sue?

If a drunk driver injures you or a family member, you can sue multiple parties ― including the driver or owner of the vehicle, the insurance company, and even the party who served the alcohol.

Server liability in Colorado ― Colorado’s Dram Shop Law

Bar owners in Colorado can be held liable for serving alcohol to drunk drivers. This is because Colorado is one of 43 states that have enacted a Dram Shop Law. According to Colorado’s Dram Shop Law, bar owners, social hosts and alcohol servers can be held civilly liable for up to $150,000 following a drunk-driving accident involving one of their customers or guests. However, to collect, the victim or victim’s family must be able to demonstrate that the server consciously served alcohol to a drunk patron, guest, or minor.

The issue of serving alcohol to minors is particularly relevant in suits against social hosts such as:

  • parents who allow house parties
  • college fraternities
  • local bars that do not carefully check for identification

Time is short

A lawsuit under Colorado’s Dram Shop Law must be initiated within one year of the service of alcohol.

If you or a family member is harmed by a drunk driver, it is important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you to understand the full scope of victim rights.

Contact Us

Call a trusted attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C. at (303) 795-5900 to get on the road to recovery now. You can also email our firm via the contact firm on this page.

As proud champions of the people, our lawyers are ready to answer your questions, explain the law and your rights, and help you take whatever steps necessary to recover the compensation you’re entitled to. With us in your corner, you can be confident that you have the legal support and representation necessary to successfully resolve your claim.

Don’t delay your recovery for a second longer – and don’t be misguided into thinking that you have to go through the process alone. Our attorneys are here, ready to help – and you won’t have to pay us anything until (or unless) there is a recovery in your case.

You may confidentially submit your question and it will be answered by Bell & Pollock, P.C. The only little catch is that he does this as a public service and he's going to give you some general advice only. This does not make you a client of Bell & Pollock, P.C. There is no charge for this service.

Free Legal E-Books

Click on any one of the e-books to access your free copy!