Generally, in the Workers’ Compensation system the workers’ compensation insurance carrier and/or employer are entitled to choose the healthcare provider.  However, there are means within the system to request and/or obtain a change of physician.

Within ninety (90) days following the date of injury, but before reaching maximum medical improvement, an injured worker may request a one-time change of authorized treating physician. The new physician must be a physician on the designated provider list or provide medical services for a designated corporate medical provider on the list. The medical provider(s) to whom the injured worker may change is determined by the designated provider list given to the injured worker pursuant to Rule 8-2 or 8-4(C).

To make a change of physician the injured worker must complete and sign the form established by the division for this purpose (form number WC3 Notice of One-Time Change of Physician). The injured worker shall submit the form to the employer by mailing or hand-delivering the completed form to the person(s) designated by the employer to receive the form. The person(s) so designated is listed on the designated provider list given to the injured worker pursuant to Rule 8-2 or 8-4(C) as the respondents’ representative(s). The injured worker may, but is not required to, provide the form to the impacted physicians. In any event, the respondents’ representative(s) shall notify the impacted physicians and the individual adjusting the claim of the change, unless an objection is submitted pursuant to paragraph (C) of this Rule 8-5.

An injured worker may obtain a one time change of physician by providing notice that meets the requirements set out in statute. If the insurer or employer believes the notice does not meet statutory requirements and does not want to recognize the change of physicians, it must provide written objection to the injured worker within seven (7) business days following receipt of the form. The written objection shall set out the reason(s) for the belief that the notice does not meet statutory requirements.

If the employer or insurer does not provide timely objection as set out in the above paragraph, the injured worker’s request to change physicians must be processed and the new physician considered an authorized treating physician as of the time of the injured worker’s initial visit with the new physician.

If written objection is provided and the dispute continues, any party may file a motion or, if there is a factual dispute requiring a hearing, any party may request that the hearing be set on an expedited basis.

In addition to the above, an injured worker may submit a written request to change physicians pursuant to 8- 43-404(5)(a)(VI). The provisions of this Rule relating to a one-time change of physician do not apply to a request for change of physician made under §8- 43-404(5)(a)(VI).

Please contact Bell & Pollock, P.C., to discuss change of physicians or any other matter regarding your workers’ compensation claim.

Contact Us

Call a trusted attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C. at (303) 795-5900 to get on the road to recovery now. You can also email our firm via the contact firm on this page.

As proud champions of the people, our lawyers are ready to answer your questions, explain the law and your rights, and help you take whatever steps necessary to recover the compensation you’re entitled to. With us in your corner, you can be confident that you have the legal support and representation necessary to successfully resolve your claim.

Don’t delay your recovery for a second longer – and don’t be misguided into thinking that you have to go through the process alone. Our attorneys are here, ready to help – and you won’t have to pay us anything until (or unless) there is a recovery in your case.

Free Legal E-Books

Click on any one of the e-books to access your free copy!

Case Results


CASE: Client was injured by a drunk driver. As a result of the motor vehicle accident, client was rendered a quadriplegic and needed a life care plan.
Outcome: $9,600,000

CASE: Against Insurance company for failure to pay for property damage after a gas and fire explosion.
Outcome: $1,600,000

CASE: Medical malpractice for failure to diagnose a descending aorta aneurism, resulting in death.
Outcome: $1,300,000

CASE: Neck and back injuries from car accident. Client had ongoing symptoms and needed injections for attempted remediation of pain.
Settled for $485,000

CASE: Client was injured