Dangerous roads can contribute to auto accidents. Colorado holds the dubious distinction of being home to one of the top ten most dangerous roads in America. The roadway, Colorado 550, aka Million Dollar Highway, suffers from many problems that give rise to numerous accidents each year. Its lack of guardrails and shoulders along with the flocks of wildlife that move across it make it extremely treacherous. In winter the road is subject to avalanches and its high elevation contributes to icy conditions. Colorado Route 550 climbs through three San Juan mountain passes over 24 difficult miles between Ouray and Silverton.
Some things you can do to avoid accidents on dangerous roadways include:
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol, drugs or any kind of medication
- Avoid using your cell phone
- Do not text and drive
- Do not eat or drink while driving
- Avoid driving if you grow tired or become upset
- Clear your windshield, roof, and windows before driving
- Adjust your mirrors for a proper view before embarking on your trip
- Maintain a safe distance (two car lengths) between your car and the vehicle in front of you
- Keep your inspections and maintenance up to date
- Listen to weather reports and avoid traveling when conditions are bad
- Do not suddenly speed and slow down when conditions are less than optimal
- Use your headlights during rain, snow, or fog and also in the early morning and early evening hours
- Go slow at dusk and dawn when animals tend to be more active and may dart out.
Persons involved in an auto accident on a dangerous road should speak to a car crash attorney about the possibility of seeking compensation for injuries.