Common Types of Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can cause a range of injuries, some of which may have lasting impacts on people’s health, wellbeing and overall quality of life. In general, car accident injuries can be classified as:
- Impact injuries, which result from the body impacting the inside of a vehicle during a collision
- Penetrating injuries, which occur when some object breaks through the skin.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident call us for a free case evaluation.
An Overview of Common Auto Accident Injuries
The following are among the most common types of injuries generally sustained by people hurt in auto accidents:
- Whiplash and other neck injuries – Car accidents are the single most common cause of whiplash, and data has shown that at least half of all car accidents in the U.S. result in whiplash or other neck injuries. Although whiplash and other neck injuries can be treatable, they do commonly cause chronic pain issues for auto accident victims.
- Head and brain injuries – Motor vehicle accidents are the second leading cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) in the U.S.1 With head injuries and TBIs, the impacts can be profoundly devastating, as they can affect people’s abilities to communicate, move around and live independently. What can be just as frustrating is the fact that these types of car accident injuries can take days to months to diagnose (especially when it comes to determining how severe the injuries are).
- Spinal cord and back injuries – These car accident injuries can cause irreversible damage to victims, potentially resulting in paralysis and/or a permanent loss of mobility. Slipped discs, vertebrae dislocations and even severed spinal cords are among the more common types of back and spinal cord injuries that can result from auto wrecks.
- Bone fractures – Although bone fractures may respond better to medical treatments than brain and/or spinal cord injuries, they can still result in long-term pain issues, as well as prevent people from being able to work for some period of time. In the worst cases, bone fractures caused by car accidents can lead to permanent impairments and/or may require one or more surgeries (or other costly medical interventions).
- Soft tissue injuries – These can include bruising, muscle tears, nerve damage and other injuries. When car accidents cause soft tissues injuries, the impacts of these injuries tend to be more severe when they affect the soft tissues of the neck and back.
Factors that Can Intensify Car Accident Injuries
The injuries sustained in auto collisions tend to be more severe when:
- Larger, heavier vehicles, such as commercial trucks, are involved in car accidents.
- Vehicles were going at higher speeds prior to the accident.
- Head-on collisions or rollover collisions occur.
- The occupants of vehicles were not wearing their seatbelts.
- Collisions throw vehicle occupants clear from their cars.
Contact an Experienced Denver Car Accident Lawyer at Bell & Pollock, P.C.
If you have been injured in an auto accident, contact a Denver car accident lawyer at Bell & Pollock, P.C. to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
Call us at (303) 795-5900 or email our firm using the contact form on this page to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you will receive clear, honest legal advice about your case, your rights and your best options for moving forward.
From our offices conveniently located in Denver, Greenwood Village, and Steamboat Springs, our lawyers provide the highest quality legal services to injured people throughout the Denver metro area, Arapahoe County, Routt County and the state of Colorado.
1: According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
Fortunately, I was referred to Robert Brovege by a family member. He and his paralegal always took time to explain everything that was happening in my case, and what the next step would be. It was great knowing that someone was always in my corner. I would highly recommend Robert Brovege.
I am happy with the personal attention that I received from Bell & Pollock on my automobile accident case. Bell & Pollock successfully negotiated a settlement with the at fault party’s insurance carrier. Bell & Pollock made the entire process less stressful for me.
Gary and Hollie at Bell & Pollock live up to their motto “Champions of the People.”
They have worked all hours of the day, night, weekends and holidays assisting me with personal injury accident claim and related disability issues. As a single parent to a six year-old little girl I feel great comfort in knowing that Bell & Pollock are here to help us through these difficult times. Thank you for all you do!
I sustained serious injuries after a collision with a hit and run driver. Bell & Pollock represented me in my lawsuit against the at-fault driver, and helped settle my underinsured motorist case with my automobile insurer. I am very happy with the representation that I received from Bell & Pollock.
Additional Car Accident Articles