Leading Causes of Car Accidents in Colorado
Any number of factors can cause car accidents. When negligence may have been a contributing factor, however, auto collision victims will usually be entitled to compensation for their injuries and losses.
At Bell & Pollock, P.C., our Denver car accident attorneys are skilled at identifying the causes of car accidents and determining if and when negligence was involved. Known for being champions of the people, our lawyers are dedicated to helping victims hold all negligent parties accountable for causing accidents so that our clients can maximize their financial recoveries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident call us for a free case evaluation.
Driver Negligence & Auto Accidents
Some type of human error is a contributing factor in at least 90 percent of all car accidents that occur in the U.S.1 Among these types of human errors, driver negligence is most often to blame for causing auto wrecks. While driver negligence can come in many forms, it most often occurs via:
- Impaired driving – When drivers are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs (including legal drugs), their perception, judgment and reaction times can all be impaired. In fact, drunk drivers alone hurt someone in a car accident in the U.S. about every 90 seconds. Every day, drunk drivers kill about 28 people in fatal auto collisions.
- Distracted driving – On the rise in the U.S., distracted driving is another form of driver negligence that can be as deadly and dangerous as drunk driving. This is because, when drivers are distracted, their perception, judgment and response times can be impaired in the same ways as for drunk drivers. What may be more distressing is the fact that distracted driving in the form of texting while driving has been increasing over recent years (in contrast, drunk driving has been on decline largely due to enhanced enforcement, education and penalties).
- Aggressive driving – This form of driver negligence can occur as speeding, tailgating, cutting other motorists off, etc. Often associated with violating traffic laws, aggressive driving contributes to nearly 1 in every 3 auto collisions in the U.S., and it often occurs alongside other forms of driver negligence, such as drunk driving.
- Careless driving – When motorists fail to be diligent about following traffic laws, paying attention to the road and doing their part to promote roadway safety, such carelessness can lead to car accidents. While driver fatigue can trigger careless driving, so too can driver intoxication or distraction.
Other Top Causes of Car Collisions
Along with driver negligence, other common causes of auto accidents include (but are not exclusive to):
- Faulty vehicle equipment – When essential vehicle equipment has been poorly designed, improperly installed or negligently maintained, it is far more likely to malfunction. This can lead to serious auto collisions when these malfunctions affect vital vehicle systems, such as the brakes, the ignition system, tires, etc.
- Poor roadway conditions – When roads have been poorly designed or constructed, auto accidents can happen. For example, a lack of guardrails, warning signs or even traffic lights can result in poor roadway conditions and devastating auto collisions. Similarly, if roads are not properly maintained (resulting in potholes, objects in the road, etc.), car accidents are also far more likely to occur.
- Other factors – Additional factors that can cause car accidents can include poor weather conditions, transportation companies’ negligence or even unsafe vehicle designs.
Contact a Denver Car Accident Lawyer at Bell & Pollock, P.C.
If you have been hurt in an auto accident that may have been caused by any form of negligence, recklessness or carelessness, contact a Denver car accident lawyer at Bell & Pollock, P.C. for experienced help with your financial recovery.
To find out more about how we can help you, call us at (303) 795-5900 or email our firm using the contact form on this page to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you will receive clear, honest legal advice about your case, your rights and your best options for moving forward.
From our offices conveniently located in Denver, Greenwood Village, and Steamboat Springs, our lawyers provide the highest quality legal services to injured people throughout the Denver metro area, Arapahoe County, Routt County and the state of Colorado.
1: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Fortunately, I was referred to Robert Brovege by a family member. He and his paralegal always took time to explain everything that was happening in my case, and what the next step would be. It was great knowing that someone was always in my corner. I would highly recommend Robert Brovege.
I am happy with the personal attention that I received from Bell & Pollock on my automobile accident case. Bell & Pollock successfully negotiated a settlement with the at fault party’s insurance carrier. Bell & Pollock made the entire process less stressful for me.
Gary and Hollie at Bell & Pollock live up to their motto “Champions of the People.”
They have worked all hours of the day, night, weekends and holidays assisting me with personal injury accident claim and related disability issues. As a single parent to a six year-old little girl I feel great comfort in knowing that Bell & Pollock are here to help us through these difficult times. Thank you for all you do!
I sustained serious injuries after a collision with a hit and run driver. Bell & Pollock represented me in my lawsuit against the at-fault driver, and helped settle my underinsured motorist case with my automobile insurer. I am very happy with the representation that I received from Bell & Pollock.
Additional Car Accident Articles