Common Motorcycle Accidents in Denver
Denver motorcycle accidents kill and injure hundreds of motorcyclists per year. Every situation is different, so it is important to understand the causes and effects for each. Our motorcycle accident lawyers in Colorado can help you navigate this difficult road and pursue the full compensation needed for your injuries.
Motorcycle accident attorneys deal with a broad range of accident cases in Denver, from hit-and-run incidents to uninsured motorists. The amount of compensation you can receive depends on the kind of motorcycle accident and the situation surrounding the incident. The common types of motorcycle accidents include:
- Drugs and Alcohol – Driving under the influence is the cause of hundreds of accidents on Colorado roads each year. If you suspect that the driver who hit your motorcycle was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, contact the police and an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Sudden Stops – Some drivers follow too close to other vehicles on the roadways, rear-ending motorcycles and causing serious injuries to bikers. These accidents may also be caused by drivers who do not notice the motorcycle stopped at the intersection and instead rear-ends the motorcyclist.
- Open Doors – If an open car door caused your motorcycle accident, that may warrant personal injury compensation. Every driver is responsible for checking that no one is nearby when opening doors into traffic.
- Left Turns – Drivers making left turns must yield to other vehicles with the right of way, including motorcycles. If you had the right of way, the driver who made the left turn and caused the motorcycle accident was at fault.
- Intersections – Motorcycle accidents caused at intersections are often caused by drivers who were speeding, drove through a red light, or failed to yield. Motorists who are also unaware of motorcycles at intersections may hit bikers who have come to a stop.
- Lane Changes – Drivers must be constantly aware of motorcyclists and other vehicles, especially when changing lanes, but they will often pass into a space that you already occupy, failing to notice that you are there. Motorcycle accident lawyers will hold these drivers accountable for their negligence.
- Hit-and-Run – If the motorist at fault fled the scene immediately after your accident occurred, the first step is always to contact the police. Gather as much information as possible and ask witnesses to give statements for the police while at the scene.
All of these accidents have caused both injury and death in Colorado. Negligent drivers or drivers under the influence are especially common within cities such as Denver, creating roadway hazards that lead to motorcycle accidents. Every motorcyclist should follow motorcycle safety tips, but it is not always possible to avoid these situations. However there are ways to deal with every motorcycle accident circumstance, and our attorneys can help victims all throughout Colorado.
Injuries from a Motorcycle Accident
Denver motorcycle accident lawyers can represent victims and their families who are suffering from disabling injuries, such as:
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Broken bones
- Back, neck, shoulder, knee, and ankle injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis (partial and total)
- Herniated disks
- Brain injuries
Motorcycle accidents can change lives, and an experienced motorcycle attorney can build a strong personal injury claim to maximize your compensation. More often than not, drivers will shift the blame to a motorcyclist after an accident, claiming that the biker was speeding or driving erratically. In reality, the cause of the accident was most likely the other driver’s negligence, failing to pay attention to the surroundings and identify the motorcyclist.
After an accident, it is important to keep witnesses on the scene so they can give statements to the police. If possible, take photographs of the scene to document the evidence for your attorney and the police. You should also contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Denver for help.
In the unfortunate situation where a motorcycle accident caused the death of a biker, family members may be entitled to a claim for wrongful death, depending on the circumstances of the accident. Head injuries are the most common cause of death among motorcyclists, a result of direct collisions. Whatever the cause of the loved one’s accident may be, our attorneys have helped victims and their families within Denver, pursuing compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and funeral costs.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims
In Colorado, all drivers are required to have liability coverage, but many motorists are still uninsured. Another situation could be that they only have the minimum insurance amounts required by law. Because motorcyclists often suffer injuries that are more serious than accident-related injuries of other drivers, the costs for treatment will likely exceed the minimum state limits.
In order to protect all drivers in Colorado, insurance companies are required to offer uninsured (UM) and underinsured (UIM) motorist policies. Unless you decline these coverages, they are included in your insurance policy in order to protect you from drivers without proper insurance coverage. After an accident, if you determined that the driver at fault does not have insurance, or whose insurance coverage is less than the full value of your damages, you can bring in a UM or UIM claim with your insurance company. Be aware that your insurance carrier always wants to minimize the compensation it gives you. To ensure that you receive the proper compensation to cover your damages and injuries, contact a motorcycle attorney who is experienced with uninsured and underinsured claims and can help review your insurance policy.
Taking Action if you are involved in a accident
There is nothing more catastrophic than a motorcycle accident, so it is important to take the necessary safety precautions to avoid dangerous situations. However, in the event that an accident is unpreventable, contact our lawyers in Denver to review your case and personal injury claims. We will represent you and ensure that you receive the proper amount of compensation for your losses and recovery.