Denver Motorcycle Safety
Colorado boasts picturesque mountains, stunning pine trees, and crisp alpine air – perfect for a long motorcycle ride. It is a vastly different experience from sitting in a car, as motorcycles provide freedom of maneuverability and flexibility on the Denver roads. Though motorcycles are fun to ride and fuel efficient, there are greater risks as well, and it is important to take the proper safety precautions on the road. You must be aware of your own safety, as well as the safety of the drivers in cars around you. Stay predictable and keep a watch out for drivers who may not always follow safe practices around motorcycles.
While motorcycle accidents may not always be preventable, the more aware you are, the more cautious you will be. In the event of a hazardous situation, you can better protect yourself and avoid danger. Please consider the following guide for the steps to riding as safely as possible. By taking the proper safety measures, you can ensure your safety and enjoy the Colorado scenery to the fullest.
Always remember that although you have additional freedom, motorcycles do not provide you with the same amount of protection as cars and other motor vehicles. Should a crash occur, proper clothing and motorcycle gear will be the only source of protection. The following is considered proper motorcycle clothing and gear for maximum safety on the roads:
● DOT-approved helmet – Despite Colorado helmet laws, helmets are an essential part of motorcycle safety. Wearing a helmet at all times while riding will protect you from the high risk of brain injury if you fall off your bike during an accident or otherwise.
● Eye protection – Some form of eye protection is required by law in Colorado. A full-face helmet is recommended to shield your face and eyes from debris, but goggles and eyeglasses made of safety glass or plastic are also acceptable.
● Motorcycle jacket – This can be made of leather, or other sturdy materials, but denim is not adequate as it does not provide enough protection in the event of an accident. Bright colors are recommended, providing added visibility for other drivers on the road.
● Long pants – These should also be made of sturdy material. Again, denim will tear if you slide across the road, providing little protection against road rash.
● Armored or reinforced gloves.
● Boots – Keep your ankles covered for added protection.
The proper motorcycle gear will keep you safe from wind chill, stray debris and road rash in any situation.
In addition to safety gear, you should also make sure that your motorcycle is tuned up and in working order before hitting the road. It only takes a few minutes to check the oil/other fluids, tires, lights, and signals. If anything seems out of the ordinary, bring it to a mechanic before riding again.
On the Road
As a motorcyclist, it is important to drive defensively on the Colorado roads. The most common cause of motorcycle accidents is driver negligence, especially by the cars around you. Be prepared to quickly and safely maneuver out of a dangerous situation, such as a car suddenly changing lanes in a space you occupy. Use your horn if necessary, and make eye contact with other drivers often so they are constantly aware of your location. Keep a good distance between your bike and other vehicles to give you enough reaction time and avoid accidents.
Additionally, avoid driving in poor weather unless absolutely necessary. Winter roads can be extremely slippery, especially in Colorado, and the increased maneuverability of a motorcycle is a danger to both you and other drivers.
Response to a Motorcycle Accident
In the unfortunate event that a motorcycle crash occurs, our Denver motorcycle attorneys can help you through the steps to recovery and getting back on the road. Motorcycle accidents can be catastrophic, and most bikers do not know what steps to take after an accident occurs. Our team will review your case and provide a full analysis of your claim, with the resources and understanding of Colorado motorcycle accidents necessary to give you the help you need.