Essential Steps to Take after a Personal Injury Accident
Although it can be difficult to know what to do after suffering a personal injury, taking the following steps can help you start to protect yourself and your rights while getting you on the path to justice and financial recovery.
Get medical treatment for your injuries ASAP – The shock of being in an accident can prevent you from sensing just how injured you may really be. Additionally, some injuries may be present without showing any immediate symptoms.
By getting examined by a doctor as soon as possible after an accident, you can get any essential – potentially life-saving – treatments you may need. Taking this step can also ensure that there is an official doctor’s report regarding your injuries and the physical impacts of the accident you suffered.
- Report the accident to the appropriate authorities – The appropriate authorities will depend on the type of accident sustained and may include (but may not be limited to) law enforcement officials, property managers or building owners, etc.Making sure that the proper authorities have been alerted about the accident is another way to have an official accident report developed. Such reports can serve as important evidence later when it is time to establish liability and the compensation you may deserve for your injuries and losses.
- Document your account of the accident – The details of what occurred before, during and after an accident are also important to record, as they can get unclear with time – and because others may tell a different story about what happened. So, do your best to write down (or somehow document) the details of what took place. Include details about when and where the accident occurred, how the accident happened and what occurred immediately after it.
- Collect any evidence you can – If and when possible, try to collect anything that you have that backs up your account of the accident. Such evidence can include pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. It may also include your damaged property, the clothing you wore during the accident, etc. This type of evidence can be pivotal to establishing your version of the events, as well as liability and the damages to which you may be entitled.
- Consult an experienced lawyer as soon as you can – As you start to reclaim your life after an accident, one of the single most important steps to take will be to consult with an attorney to find out more about your rights and best options for pursuing compensation.The truth is that, following an accident, it can be difficult to know your options for seeking justice – let alone figuring out who may have been liable for harming you.With a lawyer on your side, you can be confident that your rights and interests will be protected moving forward.
A Denver Personal Injury Attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C. Can Help You after an Accident
At Bell & Pollock, P.C., our Denver lawyers have been champions of the people since 1984. This means that you can count on us to:
- Vigorously advocate your rights
- Provide you with superior representation and personalized legal services throughout the course of your case
- Do what it takes to help you maximize your financial recovery.
Let our Denver attorneys put their skills, insight and resources to work helping you.
Let’s Discuss Your Options for Financial Recovery – Contact Us
To find out more about how we can help you, call us at (303) 795-5900 or email our firm using the contact form on this page. By contacting us and attending a free initial consultation, you can get clear, honest legal advice about your case and your best options for moving forward from an experienced attorney.
From our offices conveniently located in Denver, Greenwood Village, and Steamboat Springs, our lawyers provide the highest quality legal services to injured people throughout the Denver metro area, Arapahoe County, Routt County and the state of Colorado.