What Should I Do If I’m In A Truck Accident In Colorado?

Denver truck accident attorneys at Bell & Pollock realize that any motor vehicle accident can be a shocking experience. Truck accidents are no exception. Collisions between small passenger vehicles and large commercial trucks can be devastating and overwhelming. Immediately contact us for assistance. We work hard to help people recover for their medical expenses, lost wages, property damages, pain and suffering and other damages. We know that the work we do today can make a dramatic difference in the lives of people injured in truck accidents for many years to come.

You likely will have many questions after an accident. Should you report your accident? Should you see a doctor? Should you talk to the at-fault party’s insurance company? There’s often little time to think about what you should do in this situation. That’s why it’s critical that you know what to do if you’re ever faced with such a situation.

Below is our advice on what you should do if you’re involved in a truck accident, including some of the most frequently asked questions about truck accidents:

If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident call us for a free case evaluation.


Should I move my car after a truck accident?

No. Unless your safety is at risk, leave your car exactly where it is on the road. And ask the truck driver to do the same. It’s important keep the accident scene intact.
Back to Top

Should I call the police after a truck accident?

Yes. Police officers are trained to handle serious truck accidents. A police officer can create a report about your accident – documentation that could be very important when negotiating with the trucking company and insurance companies.
Back to Top

What should I do after I call the police about my truck accident?

  • Take photographs – Focus on the accident itself and anything that might improve your case. Take note of whether there are skid marks or street signs or street lights.
  • Talk to witnesses – Find people who saw the accident. Get their full names, addresses and phone numbers in case someone needs to talk to them later.
  • Gather more evidence – Write down as much information as you can about your accident, including time of day, weather conditions, if the traffic lights were working – anything that seems important. The more information you have, the better.

Back to Top

Should I contact the trucking company after my truck accident?

No. Simply tell them you have hired an accident attorney at Bell & Pollock, and they should direct all their questions about the accident to us. We should add that it can often be difficult to track down the trucking company that employs the driver that owns/leases the tractor-trailer that caused your accident. For more information, visit our page, trucking companies and truck accidents. 
Back to Top

Am I allowed to see a copy of the police report for my truck accident?

Yes. And make sure you get a printed copy of the report. Ask the officer who responded to your accident how you can obtain a copy of the report. Then make sure everything in the report corresponds with your facts.
Back to Top

Should I see a doctor after my truck accident?

Yes. Don’t underestimate the seriousness of your truck accident. Let a doctor decide if you’re injured. What might seem like something minor could turn out to be a serious truck accident injury. Consult a doctor as soon as possible after your accident. And if you have a serious injury, make sure you receive emergency medical treatment as soon as possible.
Back to Top

Should I call a lawyer after a truck accident in Colorado?

Yes. Even if your truck accident seems straightforward, many tractor-trailer or truck accidents can quickly become very complicated. We recommend immediate action to preserve critical evidence. The best Colorado accident attorneys have years of experience handling complicated truck accidents. They know how to get injury victims the compensation they rightfully deserve and deal directly with insurance companies. Remember: Insurance companies often only care about one thing: paying accident victims as little as possible. We are familiar with the way they work and can handle the insurance companies for you.
Back to Top

“Champions of the People,” fighting for justice, one truck accident at a time

When you contact us, we won’t give you the runaround. We will provide you with personalized attention and take the time to learn about your truck accident. We don’t take a one-size-fits-all approach to truck accidents in Colorado. We tailor our strategy to address your specific legal needs.

Bell & Pollock’s detailed approach toward each case often includes:

  • Gathering evidence
  • Visiting the accident scene
  • Interviewing witnesses
  • Reviewing accident reports
  • Consulting with experts

If necessary, we can even help you file a personal injury lawsuit in Denver or wherever your truck accident took place. But we will only take such action after clearly discussing all your legal options with you. We won’t force you to do anything. You’re in charge. You decide your course of action.

Expect more. Contact a Colorado law firm that puts your interests first. Contact Bell & Pollock and schedule a free case evaluation today. Call toll free (877) 744-5900 or (303) 795-5900.


You may confidentially submit your question and it will be answered by Bell & Pollock, P.C. The only little catch is that he does this as a public service and he's going to give you some general advice only. This does not make you a client of Bell & Pollock, P.C. There is no charge for this service.

⇓  Click on a Title Below to Receive a FREE eBook!  ⇓

Legal Game Plan flyer for Bell and Pollock P.C.
The Ultimate Guide to Hit and Run Accidents in Colorado booklet by Gary Bell and Bradley Pollock
The Ultimate Guide to Workers Comp book
Don't get hurt twice book cover.
Motorcycle accident handbook


Fortunately, I was referred to Robert Brovege by a family member. He and his paralegal always took time to explain everything that was happening in my case, and what the next step would be. It was great knowing that someone was always in my corner. I would highly recommend Robert Brovege.

G. Grant, From Denver

I am happy with the personal attention that I received from Bell & Pollock on my automobile accident case. Bell & Pollock successfully negotiated a settlement with the at fault party’s insurance carrier. Bell & Pollock made the entire process less stressful for me.

S.B., From Arvada

Gary and Hollie at Bell & Pollock live up to their motto “Champions of the People.”

They have worked all hours of the day, night, weekends and holidays assisting me with personal injury accident claim and related disability issues.  As a single parent to a six year-old little girl I feel great comfort in knowing that Bell & Pollock are here to help us through these difficult times. Thank you for all you do!

Nicole C., From Denver

I sustained serious injuries after a collision with a hit and run driver.  Bell & Pollock represented me in my lawsuit against the at-fault driver, and helped settle my underinsured motorist case with my automobile insurer.  I am very happy with the representation that I received from Bell & Pollock.

Linda N., From Denver
See All of Our Testimonials
Read our Google Reviews

Additional Truck Accident Articles