side impact car image

Assuming your car is drivable and you don’t mind driving around in a wrecked car, you can do nothing. But, what if your car is not drivable or you want to drive a car free of damage?

Assuming the other driver has auto insurance, you should contact their insurance company and make a property damage claim. If they accept liability for the collision, the property damage adjuster assigned to your claim will determine whether the cost to repair your vehicle is above or below the fair market value of your vehicle.

  • If your vehicle is repairable, you have the right to have the damage repaired at any repair facility that you choose. The insurance company will recommend a repair facility that it uses. If you do not provide specific instructions, you may end up with substandard parts or repairs. After the repairs are made, the insurance company will directly pay the repair facility.
  • If the cost of repair exceeds the fair market value of your vehicle (or a predetermined percentage of the fair market value), then the insurance company will declare it a total loss. In this case, it will take title to your car and pay you the fair market value of your car. Before you settle with the insurance company on the value of your car, do your homework so that you are armed with the knowledge that you need to successfully negotiate with the insurance company and get top dollar for your car:
    • Figure out the value of your car by researching several sources, such as, or, or talk to a car dealer that sells used cars.
    • Look for the price that other people in your geographic care are selling and buying cars that have the same year, make, and model with the same accessories.

If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident caused by another driver and you’re telling yourself, “I need a car accident attorney near me,” contact Bell & Pollock, P.C. for a free consultation and exceptional representation. Call (720)580-4294 or email our firm.

Contact Us

Call a trusted attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C. at (303) 795-5900 to get on the road to recovery now. You can also email our firm via the contact firm on this page.

As proud champions of the people, our lawyers are ready to answer your questions, explain the law and your rights, and help you take whatever steps necessary to recover the compensation you’re entitled to. With us in your corner, you can be confident that you have the legal support and representation necessary to successfully resolve your claim.

Don’t delay your recovery for a second longer – and don’t be misguided into thinking that you have to go through the process alone. Our attorneys are here, ready to help – and you won’t have to pay us anything until (or unless) there is a recovery in your case.

You may confidentially submit your question and it will be answered by Bell & Pollock, P.C. The only little catch is that he does this as a public service and he's going to give you some general advice only. This does not make you a client of Bell & Pollock, P.C. There is no charge for this service.

Free Legal E-Books

Click on any one of the e-books to access your free copy!