Call for a free consultation


Hit and Run Auto Accidents

What should you do when injured in a hit-and-run auto accident?

  • Contact the police and ensure that a police report is made.
    • If you are ever involved in a hit-and-run accident, or any sort of auto accident, calling the police at the scene of the accident is a crucial step. Specifically, it is crucial to call the police at the scene and wait for them to arrive so that the police can make a police report. Police reports are a crucial piece of documentation for any auto accident case and the police report will be used by insurance companies to determine what exactly occurred. Police reports are typically the document that an auto-insurance company will rely on in determining who was at fault. 
  • Obtain video evidence of the accident as soon as possible.
    • It is important to act promptly by obtaining video evidence of the accident. Often times, video footage will only be available for 30 days after the footage was taken. It is best to act immediately to try and determine if video footage is available (i.e., if there were any cameras nearby that might have captured the accident). Video footage of an accident might be available from cameras that are mounted on stop lights. If the accident occurred at a busy intersection, at an intersection where a high number of accidents occur, or at an intersection with a high amount of criminal activity, then there will often be a camera at the particular intersection. These cameras are usually maintained by the city in which they are located and/or the Department of Transportation. Additionally, nearby businesses will often have cameras in place. It is important to follow up with nearby businesses immediately to determine if they have any footage of the accident, as businesses will typically delete video footage after 30 days.
  • What if the hit-and-run driver is never identified?
    • If the hit-and-run driver is never identified, this does not necessarily mean that you will not receive recovery for the injuries you sustained in the accident. In order to receive recovery, a person injured in a hit-and-run accident will have to have proper insurance coverage. Specifically, the person injured in a hit-and-run accident will need Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist coverage to recover. Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist coverage must be rejected in writing in Colorado by the insured for it to not be included on an auto insurance policy so it  is likely that someone with auto insurance will have Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist coverage as a part of their auto insurance policy. 
  • Is it important to call an attorney if I am injured in a hit-and-run accident?
    • Yes. At Bell & Pollock, we have investigative resources and experience with obtaining video footage and will act immediately to obtain any footage available. Additionally, we will identify any and all insurance coverage available to the injured party. Often times, there is insurance coverage available for hit-and-run accidents even when the hit-and-run driver is not identified. If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, we urge you to call us immediately so that we may obtain the proper evidence for your case and determine what insurance coverage is available to you.

A Colorado law firm that puts people first. Your case matters

We’re ready and eager to tackle whatever tough personal injury issue you’re dealing with in Denver and all of Colorado. Your case matters here.




Bell & Pollock, P.C.

7555 E Hampden Ave #200
Denver, CO 80231


(800) 559-5920

Steamboat Springs:

Bell & Pollock, P.C.
505 Anglers Dr #104
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487


(970) 870-8989

-By Appointment Only

Powered By:
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram