Hit & Runs and UM/UIM Coverage & Claims

Hit & Runs and UM/UIM Coverage & Claims

If you’re involved in an automobile accident, you should:

  1. Stop
  2. Check on the wellbeing of those involved in the collision
  3. Call the authorities
  4. Render aid (if necessary)
  5. Exchange driver- and insurance-related information with the other involved parties.

It’s common sense, and it’s the law.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t always happen that way. Sometimes, people flee the scene of an accident rather than fulfilling their legal obligations. This is referred to as a “hit-and-run.”

There can be many reasons drivers flee the scenes of collisions. They may:

  • Be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
  • Have arrest warrants
  • Be uninsured
  • Be driving without a valid driver’s license.

Whatever the reason, these cowards of the street all have one thing in common – they don’t want to stick around and wait for the police to show up.

If an at-fault driver flees the scene after hitting you, who’s going to pay for your injuries, damages and losses caused by their negligence?

You might think your own insurance will chip in. Unless you have the right coverage, however, you’ll be out of luck. If the unknown, at-fault driver flees without providing their information or doesn’t have valid insurance, a barebones, liability-only policy will NOT help you recover for your personal injuries and losses.

Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Coverage (“UM/UIM”) covers you against drivers who are unknown, who are uninsured, or whose insurance policy limits are not sufficient to cover the costs of your crash-related injuries and losses.

If you’re a victim of a hit-and-run driver, here are the most important steps to take:

  1. Pull over and gather as much information as possible about the other vehicle while it’s still in sight – Try to note the make, model and color of the other vehicle; any damage the other vehicle sustained; all or any part of the license plate number; and any other details you can. These details can all be helpful to police and investigators.
  2. Call 911 and file an accident report – This is critical to do even if you don’t think that you’re seriously injured. Filing a crash report with police will result in an investigation of the collision and an attempt to locate the at-fault driver. Without this report, you can find yourself in the difficult position of having to prove to your own insurance company how the accident happened.
  3. Contact an experienced lawyer at Bell & Pollock, P.C. – We can explain your options, help you conduct further investigations and effectively represent you when it’s time to file a claim.

Call (720) 613-6687 or email us for a free, confidential, no obligations consultation with Denver’s most experienced car accident attorneys at Bell & Pollock, P.C.  We can steer you through the rough legal potholes and help you establish a Legal Game Plan™ so that you are fully compensated for your losses and injuries.

We also encourage you to check out our Books, below, including our book entitled “Hit & Run” (Cowards of the Street).