Call for a free consultation

What Do I Do If a Government Vehicle Hits Me in Colorado?

Colorado reports over 61,000 government owned vehicles on the road. This includes vehicles such as police cruisers, buses, and heavy-duty maintenance vehicles. These types of vehicles create unique dangers for individuals who are hit by them due to their size and lack of maneuverability. The sheer amount of driving also creates a dynamic where these vehicles are spending a disproportionate amount of time on the road when compared to private vehicles; more time on the road means more opportunity to cause collisions and injuries. 

When a private vehicle has caused a collision, the process is pretty straightforward. There is a three-year statute of limitations in Colorado, and attorneys from a legal team such as ours at Bell & Pollock, P.C., can help you through that process before the three-year statute expires.

If you've been involved in a road accident with a government vehicle in Colorado, that process changes. There are strict procedures and requirements specified by the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act that must be followed to file a claim against the government for damages resulting from the accident. It's essential to be aware of these requirements to ensure that you don't lose your right to pursue compensation for your injuries and damages.

The first step towards filing a claim is notifying the appropriate government agency responsible for the vehicle involved in the accident within 180 days of the incident. This notification should include detailed information about the accident, such as the date and time of the accident, the location, the names and contact information of all parties involved, the extent of the injuries sustained, and the damages incurred. This is known as the Colorado Government Immunity Act (“CGIA”) Notice. If this notice is deficient, it could bar any claim whatsoever.

After submitting your claim, the government agency has a maximum of 90 days to respond. They may either accept or reject the claim. If the claim is accepted, the parties can negotiate a settlement amount. However, if the claim is rejected or no response is received within the 90-day period, you may proceed by filing a lawsuit within the statute of limitations, which is two years from the date of the accident.

It's important to note that navigating the legal landscape and the complex procedures involved in filing a claim against the government can be challenging. Therefore, it's highly recommended that you seek the advice of a qualified attorney who has experience in handling such cases, such as those at Bell & Pollock Law. Our attorneys can help you understand the legal implications of your case, represent you in the negotiations, and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.

Remember that complying with these procedures is crucial to protecting your rights and interests and ensuring that you receive a fair and just outcome. Therefore, it's crucial to act promptly and seek legal guidance, ensuring that your rights are protected. Don't hesitate to ask for help and support during this difficult time. 

When faced with the potentially devastating aftermath of a collision caused by a police officer, bus, or any other government employee, it is crucial to speak to the legal team with the ability, know-how, and vigor to investigate your case completely.  If you or someone you love has been hit by a government employee or any other vehicle, our dedicated legal team can help discuss a legal game plan with you moving forward and explain how we can put you in the best possible position to seek a claim against all the parties responsible. Contact the experienced government car accident attorneys at Bell & Pollock, P.C., today for a free consultation.

A Colorado law firm that puts people first. Your case matters

We’re ready and eager to tackle whatever tough personal injury issue you’re dealing with in Denver and all of Colorado. Your case matters here.


(303) 795-5900


Bell & Pollock, P.C.

7555 E Hampden Ave #200
Denver, CO 80231


(800) 559-5920

Steamboat Springs:

Bell & Pollock, P.C.
505 Anglers Dr #104
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487


(970) 870-8989

-By Appointment Only

Powered By:
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram