With a significant amount of CO drivers not having insurance coverage, here’s how to protect yourself, a Denver car accident attorney explains.

With a significant amount of CO drivers not having insurance coverage, here’s how to protect yourself, a Denver car accident attorney explains.

Even though Colorado laws require all motorists to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance, about 1 in every 7 people in the state do not have the necessary coverage, according to the Insurance Research Council.

This can end up meaning that, even if you are responsible, have insurance and are extremely careful when driving:

  • You can be hit by another driver.
  • There are good chances that the other driver won’t have any (or sufficient) insurance coverage to compensate you for your accident-related damages and losses.
  • You could end up having to cover all of the costs of the damages you did nothing to cause.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: What You Should Know

While all of the above is true, you should be aware that you can protect yourself from such unfortunate situations – and that the best way to do so is to make sure you have uninsured or uninsured motorist coverage as part of your auto insurance policy.

This coverage, which is not a standard policy feature, can provide you with a safety net if another negligent driver without insurance hits you. In fact, if you have this coverage and are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver (or if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident):

  • You can file a claim with your own insurance company following these accidents.
  • Your insurer will typically be responsible for compensating you for your property damage and medical bills (and possibly other losses, depending on your policy).

Be Cautious of Insurers: They Don’t Always Honor Policies

We want to point out here that, although having uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is important, you cannot always count on insurance providers to honor this (or any) part of a policy. This is because insurers are not on your side when it’s time to file claims and seek payouts.

This can end up meaning that they look for minor reasons to cut your compensation – or to try to deny your claim entirely.

So, if you have run into trouble getting the payout you deserve from an insurance provider (for an uninsured claim or any auto crash claim), don’t try to fight insurers alone. Turn to an experienced lawyer who knows how to protect your interests and fight for the payout you deserve.

Contact an Experienced Denver Car Accident Attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C.

If you have been injured in a traffic accident, you can turn to a car crash lawyer in Denver at Bell & Pollock, P.C. for experienced help advocating your rights and pursuing justice.

Let our Denver attorneys put their skills, insight and resources to work helping you. To find out more about how we can help you, call us at (303) 795-5900 or email our firm using the contact form on this page to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you will receive clear, honest legal advice about your case, your rights and your best options for moving forward.

From our offices conveniently located in Denver, Greenwood Village, and Steamboat Springs, our lawyers provide the highest quality legal services to injured people throughout the Denver metro area, Arapahoe County, Routt County and the state of Colorado.

Contact Us

Call a trusted attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C. at (303) 795-5900 to get on the road to recovery now. You can also email our firm via the contact firm on this page.

As proud champions of the people, our lawyers are ready to answer your questions, explain the law and your rights, and help you take whatever steps necessary to recover the compensation you’re entitled to. With us in your corner, you can be confident that you have the legal support and representation necessary to successfully resolve your claim.

Don’t delay your recovery for a second longer – and don’t be misguided into thinking that you have to go through the process alone. Our attorneys are here, ready to help – and you won’t have to pay us anything until (or unless) there is a recovery in your case.

You may confidentially submit your question and it will be answered by Bell & Pollock, P.C. The only little catch is that he does this as a public service and he's going to give you some general advice only. This does not make you a client of Bell & Pollock, P.C. There is no charge for this service.

Free Legal E-Books

Click on any one of the e-books to access your free copy!

Case Results


CASE: Client was injured by a drunk driver. As a result of the motor vehicle accident, client was rendered a quadriplegic and needed a life care plan.
Outcome: $9,600,000

CASE: Against Insurance company for failure to pay for property damage after a gas and fire explosion.
Outcome: $1,600,000

CASE: Medical malpractice for failure to diagnose a descending aorta aneurism, resulting in death.
Outcome: $1,300,000

CASE: Neck and back injuries from car accident. Client had ongoing symptoms and needed injections for attempted remediation of pain.
Settled for $485,000

CASE: Client was injured in a 2 vehicle collision. She suffered a traumatic brain injury, concussion and multiple injuries to the neck.
Outcome: $6,000,000

CASE: Client was in her car and was T-Boned by a commercial vehicle. Her cerebral spinal fluid leaked and she suffered a concussion and traumatic brain injury with neck and lumbar (low back) injuries. Her neck injury caused radiating pain, numbness and tingling in her arms.
Outcome: $3,400,000

CASE: Client was driving on a rural road when another car crossed the center line and caused a head-on collision in the snow and ice. Client did physical work for a living. Both knees were injured, along with a neck injury.
Outcome: $2,300,000

CASE: Client was driving on South Parker road when another vehicle rapidly changed lanes and rear-ended the client. That vehicle was cited for careless driving. The collision caused a concussion with traumatic brain Injury. Client missed time from work and had a positive correlation between brain scan and neuropsychological test results.
Outcome: $950,000

CASE: Client was rear ended by a dump truck, was then knocked forward and hit another vehicle. Client had a concussion with traumatic brain injury. Client underwent a brain scan which showed hypoperfusion, correlated wi