After Reporting a Denver Car Accident to Police: What to Do Next
• Request a copy of the police report – Contact the law enforcement agency that responded to the crash (or that received the accident report), and make an official request to receive a copy of this report. To do this, you will need to:
- Complete form DR2489, Requestor Release and Affidavit of Intended Use, and pay the necessary fee
- Wait 90 days for the copy of the report to become available (For an additional fee, these requests can be expedited).5
• Carefully review the car accident report – After receiving the incident report, be sure to carefully and thoroughly read it over to make sure it’s accurate and that nothing is missing (or has been erroneously documented). If there are mistakes, omissions or other issues with the accident report, it will be important to note the inaccuracies and contact the officer who wrote the report to try to get the issues rectified (or at least officially noted).
• Report the car accident to the insurance company – In addition to reporting a Denver car accident to the proper law enforcement authorities, it’s also important to make sure that the insurance company is notified of the crash.
While you don’t have to give an official (i.e., recorded) statement immediately (and nor should you), making this report to an insurer as soon as possible after a crash can be crucial to avoiding additional challenges with a future car accident claim. One of the primary reasons for this is that many auto insurance policies contain provisions that specifically require accident reports be filed by policyholders within hours (like 24 to 72 hours) of a collision.
• Consult a Denver car accident attorney – This is the single most effective way to protect your rights and interests after a car accident, as a lawyer can help:
- Identify any and all liable parties for the crash
- Compile the necessary evidence for a car accident claim
- Stand up to insurance companies (and others) on behalf of victims (including families who have lost a loved one to a fatal car accident)
- Ensure the recovery process is resolved as favorably as possible so that victims are able to secure the compensation they deserve – Auto accident recoveries can include damages for various costs and losses, such as property damage, medical bills, lost wages, loss of consortium, and mental suffering.
Reporting a Denver Car Accident: The Bottom Line
When it comes to reporting a car accident in Denver, the bottom line is that:
- The time you spend upfront reporting a crash can go a long way towards saving you time and stress in the future when it’s time to pursue compensation for your crash-related injuries and losses.
- If you are unable to report the crash for any reason (like because you were too badly hurt in the wreck and needed emergency medical care), contacting a lawyer will be crucial to safeguarding your rights and recovery options. It can also be the key to healing, reclaiming your life, and putting the accident behind you.
Get on the Road to Recovery: Contact an Experienced Denver Car Accident Attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C.
If you have been injured in an auto wreck or in any type of traffic crash, you can turn to a Denver car accident attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C. for experienced help advocating your rights and pursuing justice.
At Bell & Pollock, our lawyers are proud to be champions of the people, providing victims of negligence with superior legal representation to help them maximize their financial recovery. For well over three decades, our trusted attorneys have been standing up to even the most formidable opponents, protecting our clients’ rights as we help them bring their cases to the best possible outcomes.
Call (303) 795-5900 or email our firm using the contact form on this page to set up a free initial consultation with us and find out more about how we can help you. During this meeting, you will receive clear, honest legal advice about your case, your rights and your best options for moving forward.
From our offices conveniently located in Denver, our lawyers provide the highest quality legal services to injured people throughout the Denver metro area, Arapahoe County, Routt County and the state of Colorado.
1: According to the Colorado State Patrol (CSP), whose online crash reporting tool is available here – https://crash.state.co.us/
2: Additional contact info for the Denver Police Department (DPD) – https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/police-department/contact.html
3: Step-by-step instructions on how to file a counter report for a car accident in Denver – https://www.arapahoegov.com/DocumentCenter/View/2312
4: Information on reporting a car accident in Denver, from the Colorado DMV – https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/report-accident
5: DPD’s Records Office – https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/police-department/records.html