Fatal Motorcycle Accidents
About 14 percent of all traffic-related deaths impact motorcycle riders. In fact, any motorcyclist is about 35 times more likely (than someone in a passenger vehicle) to sustain fatal injuries any time they ride. This is according to officials at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), who also report that, every year, at least 4,500 people across the nation are killed in motorcycle wrecks.
While these big-picture motorcycle accident statistics can be distressing to consider, just one fatal motorcycle accident can be far more devastating for any family that loses a loved one to a deadly wreck.
At Bell & Pollock, P.C., our Denver lawyers are dedicated to helping families seek justice in the aftermath of a fatal motorcycle accident. Experienced and compassionate, our attorneys are ready to help you determine who’s at fault for causing a deadly wreck and hold any and all responsible parties accountable.
We understand that money will never bring a loved one back or erase the profound losses caused by deadly motorcycle accidents. We also know, however, that pursuing justice via a fatal motorcycle accident case can be necessary to securing the financial resources and closure that can be pivotal to the overall recovery process.
Leading Causes of Fatal Motorcycle Accidents
The top causes of deadly motorcycle accidents include:
• Negligent motorists – Distracted driving, drunk driving, drugged driving and violating traffic laws are all forms of motorist negligence that commonly cause fatal motorcycle accidents. Here, it’s important to understand that negligent motorists can include commercial drivers (like truckers), the drivers of passenger vehicles, and even other motorcyclists on the road.
• Dangerous road conditions – Broken traffic signals, covered traffic signs, debris in the road and an absence of guardrails or lane dividers are all examples of dangerous road conditions that can play a role in causing deadly motorcycle wrecks. Here, it should be noted that:
o Adverse weather can intensify dangerous road conditions by making roads slick (and possibly by limiting motorists’ visibility).
o When this factor causes fatal wrecks, the party responsible for road safety and maintenance (like a city or county) can be liable.
• Faulty or defective vehicle (or motorcycle) equipment – Brake failures, ignition system malfunctions and tire blowouts are all examples of equipment malfunctions that can contribute to deadly motorcycle wrecks. In these situations, the equipment manufacturer (and possibly repair technicians and/or shops) can be liable.
Fatal Motorcycle Accidents in Colorado: The Statistics
Here are some of the latest findings about the prevalence of deadly motorcycle accidents in Colorado (according to officials at the Colorado Department of Transportation, CDOT):
• Fatal motorcycle accidents in Colorado have been on the rise in recent years, spiking at least 14 percent since 2015.
• Colorado ranks 14th in the U.S. for the highest rate of motorcycle crash deaths.
• More than 1 in every 3 fatal motorcycle accidents in Colorado involves alcohol impairment (i.e., at least one involved motorist having a BAC of at least 0.08).
• Nearly 9 in 10 motorcycle accident deaths in Colorado impact men.
• People between 18 and 44 years old make up about 54 percent of the victims of fatal motorcycle accidents.
After a Deadly Motorcycle Crash: How an Attorney Can Help
When a fatal motorcycle accident takes a loved one away forever, having the representation of an experienced lawyer – like a Denver motorcycle accident lawyer at Bell & Pollock, P.C. – is essential. Just some of the reasons for this include that a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you:
• Determine who’s at fault
• Identify all of your options for recovery
• Prove liability and protect your rights at every phase of your case
• Maximize your recovery and resolve your case as favorably as possible.
Find Out More Now: Contact a Denver Motorcycle Accident Lawyer at Bell & Pollock, P.C.
Call (303) 539-5425 to speak to an experienced Denver motorcycle accident attorney at Bell & Pollock, P.C. and get clear, straightforward answers about your options for justice and recovery. You can also email our firm (using the contact form on this page).
Our Denver attorneys are ready to put their knowledge, skills and resources to work helping you hold any and all negligent parties accountable for causing a fatal motorcycle accident.
Our central goal is to fight for the justice and compensation you deserve so you can concentrate on dealing with your grief and putting your life back together.